Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Maangi fi rek" - "I am here only"

In the computer lab at WARC (West African Research Center), and preparing to post my first photos.  This week has been an orientation--sight-seeing, travel, purchasing cellphones (portables), learning how to walk to school, first classes in Wolof, getting closer to my host family.  The phrase "you learn something new every day" seems pretty inadequate right now.



at la Phare, the Light House--the highest point in Dakar--and looking over the coast





"la monstrosite"--the enormous, controversial monument commissioned by A. Wade





the mountains of salt on the shores of Lac Rose


Our guides--two young female students, Adji and Awa--warned us that the sellers (vendeurs) can be very pushy there at the lake.  It didn't come as a surprise that there had been some incidents, as my dad kindly pointed out to me.

I have a phone number now, too.  It's cheapest if people in the US call me.  And the time difference is 5 hours.  I think.  But I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. If it were not so expensive, that statue is hilariously overdrawn.

    Glad you did not decide to go to Haiti to study.

    ReplyDelete